Monday, January 10, 2005

American Brandstand

Marty Schwimmer (who is a brand unto himself) links to the "American Brandstand" report published by an interesting outfit called AgendaInc. The report runs down last year's top musical questions last year to be answered by well-known brand names. This report is most useful for interpreting some of the lyrics that you've heard a million times but never quite "got" ("I got the Rolly on my arm and I'm pouring Chandon / And I roll the best weed 'cause I got it goin' on" -- these kids today and their nutty lyrics!). The list includes four present-or-recent clients of ours (can't say who, but look on my site under "published cases" for a hint) and about that many "brands" we've litigated against over the years.

The references seem overwhelmingly to come from the gritty "urban" music sector. I am reminded, though, of a kinder, gentler era when Paul Simon sang about Kodachrome. (It's slide film.) (Film -- it's what used to go in cameras.) Well, maybe not quite so innocent, thinking of Lola and her -- his -- uh, Lola's Coca-Cola ...

I don't remember Pepsi getting a pop music mention until much later.

No comments: